Wednesday, April 28, 2010

"Fountain" by Sherrie Levine

Appropriation art is to borrow, adopt, or recycle man-made objects for use as art. This work is titled "Fountain" after Marcel Duchamp's piece. Since Sherrie Levine is an appropriation artist much of her work is borrowed or adopted from previous works of art. I think this piece should be titled "A Copy of a Copy"; I do not think that Marcel Duchamp's (the original) version of the fountain was in any way a creative work that creates some inspiration or reaction by me, other than frustration that its price tag is worth more than my life. Seeing this piece made me even more frustrated because its the same as its predecessor just bronze, I don't understand how this kind of stuff ends up in an art museum or is sold for an outrageous amount of money.

No comments:

Post a Comment